Fun Facts About
SEDUCED BY AN ANGEL
Book 3, Velvet Lies
by Adrienne deWolfe
SERAPHINA JONES, the Heroine
- Sera’s father, a preacher, named her after angels – the seraphim.
- She possesses the gift of psychometry. When she touches metallic objects, she receives visions about their owners.
- A Texas psychic was the real-life-inspiration for Sera. I had a chance encounter with this psychic at a rural antique shop, where the psychic was touching desks, tables, and other period pieces to glean information about their Civil War-era owners.
- Sera was the toughest character I’ve ever written – probably because we’re so different. I grew up in the big city with a sister; Sera grew up in an Appalachian hamlet with three brothers. I was allowed an extremely eclectic spiritual perspective; Sera was ingrained with a rigidly traditional one.
- As a writer, I needed to find some way to connect with Sera and her era. While researching Kentucky in 1882, I stumbled across an interesting fact: Louisville was a hotbed for Suffragettes and the Woman’s Reformation movement. In the novel, Sera sums up her feelings (and mine) when she says, “I just don’t think I can love a man who doesn’t support a woman’s legal right to the guardianship of her own children.”
JESSE QUAID, the Hero
- Jesse is one-quarter Cherokee. Although he was raised a Christian in his Irish father’s home, Jesse keeps his grandmother’s people close to his heart.
- Since Cherokees are matrilineal, Jesse remains a member of his grandmother’s clan, the Panther (or Blue Holly) Clan.
- Jesse’s totem is the “Texas Lynx” (bobcat,) and his nickname is Lynx. To the Native Americans, the Lynx represents the “medicine” (spiritual lesson) of hidden secrets and serves as the “keeper of secrets.”
- Unfortunately for Jesse, he didn’t inherit his grandmother’s gift of “half-sight” (clairvoyance.) That’s why he needs Sera. He’s hoping she’ll help him “see” what really happened the night that he passed out . . . and woke up with a dead woman in his bed.
- Jesse’s cat-like green eyes often enable him to pose as a White Man – a lie that could easily get him lynched in 1882. Sera calls him her “Panther Man” because of his arresting eyes, and because he can walk in complete silence, even while wearing spurs.
WILLIAM “CASS” CASSIDY, The “Other Man”
- Cass was originally created to be the villain. But I liked this character too much to send him to the gallows.
- Since I’d already established Cass’s “evil persona” as a subplot in the paperback version of Book 2 of the Velvet Lies series, I had to completely strip Cass from the ebook version, invent a new subplot for HIS WICKED DREAM, and fill the gap with another character (named Chance.)
- Cass’s nickname in SEDUCED BY AN ANGEL is “The Rebel Rutter.” He earned the name from the girls at Wicked Wilma’s, a bordello in Dodge City, Kansas.
- Cass is a champion mumblety-peg player. But he’s even faster with his six-shooter than he is with his knife. Jesse has never been able to outdraw Cass.
- The running gag in the series is that Cass names his horses after the town where he steals them. By the end of SEDUCED BY AN ANGEL, he’s riding “Jelli,” a gelding from Jellico, Tennessee.
THE STORY: Behind the Scenes
- SEDUCED BY AN ANGEL contains a Love Triangle that most paperback publishers think is too risky to print: a heroine torn between two strong, charismatic males. Publishers fear that readers will fall out of love with the hero and in love with the sidekick – thus causing reader disappointment when the heroine must choose. I’m hoping that readers will fall in love with both Jesse and Cass, and that I’ve revealed enough character traits to show why Sera could only be truly happy with one of them.
- The novel’s setting is the fictional town of Blue Thunder, in southeastern Kentucky, in 1882. I placed Blue Thunder somewhere in what is now known as the Daniel Boone National Forest, near Ywahoo Falls.
- The book opens one year after the ending of HIS WICKED DREAM (Book 2, Velvet Lies.) However, SEDUCED BY AN ANGEL was published 13 years later, largely because my paperback publisher insisted that I strip out all the paranormal elements. Fortunately, my ebook publisher shared my vision for Sera as a clairvoyant who possessed the gift of psychometry.
SEDUCED BY AN ANGEL
Kentucky belle Seraphina Jones craves a dashing stranger worth kissing. When she spies her handsome, half-naked hired hand at the riverbank, she thinks her dreams of romance have come true. But this Texican is wanted for murder.
Jesse Quaid can’t let Sera’s sweet kisses distract him from rendezvousing with Cass, a childhood friend, to clear his name of a crime he didn’t commit.
But then a case of mistaken identity turns Cass into Jesse’s deadliest rival for Sera’s heart. Now Sera must find a way to end the feud before the man she loves is lost forever.